Friday, September 28, 2007

Covers and Remixes and Samples, OH MY!

While we are on the subject of music, is there any originality in music today? (Vague, rhetorical question. I know there is SOME.) While posting that Soulja Boy album, I came across about 50 remixes of the song and the album isn't even out yet. Everything today is a remix, sampled or a cover. Music is getting as bad as movies these days. What my final straw was and forcing me to make this post was when I came across the following video:

Are these guys serious. (For the record the band is called Vanilla Sky.) And again, this song is being covered by a ton of artists. As if the original isn't bad enough. Dashboard Confessional is selling an album of covers at there concerts, New Found Glory has released a second full album of covers and there's the ever so popular cover of Phil Collins' "Land of Confusion" by Disturbed that's played constantly on the local radio station.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not 100% against covers. There are plenty of good ones out there, one of my favorites being a cover of Nena's "99 Luftballoons" by Goldfinger. I'm just saying, if your best work is a cover song (looks at Fred Durst), maybe you should reconsider your career.

Please feel free to discus and tell me I'm an idiot.

No comments: